Saturday, March 22, 2008

I'm a man, I'm a man, I'm a man, I'm a man, I'm a man, I'm a man!

(to be sung to the tune of I'm a map by Map on Dora the Explorer)

All my married life, I have wanted an orange tree. Since moving into our house, I have been planning and trying to decide the perfect location for it. For Christmas, my parents gave me a gift certificate to a nursery to buy one. After much mental deliberation, I decided to go ahead and put it in the front yard.

I also decided that if I were going to put it in, I needed to take out a palm tree, lantana and oleander, and put in a drip system.

BEFORE:
So I did. Seriously, I thought my back was broken after shoveling rock, digging, and leaning over all day to put in the drip. I complained about it a bit and waited a week to put in the plants.

KIND OF AFTER:
I still have more plants to plant, but I haven't mustered the mental energy to do them yet, but they'll be the pretties: verbena(s) in front of the foxtail ferns and orange tree, tall grass thing between them, a sweet potato vine in front of the pillar and lots and lots of zinnia all in the front as a border against the cement divider.

Now, because I'm in LOVE with my plants:

Yes, I know my tree is tiny. The guy at the nursery said, "I guess you don't want fruit very soon." Are you kidding me? Of course I want fruit, like yesterday, I just don't want to pay $500+ for a tree that's big enough to give me fruit soon. Also, remember I'm the one doing the manual labor? Yeah, I don't want to dig a bigger hole, or lift a heavier tree, or have to pay even more than the tree costs to get it installed.... What a dumb statement.

Anyhow, the fruits of my labor.... showing it off at the Huber Family Fair. I won a double chin and a medal.(FYI: Huber Family Fair is an annual event in connection with my Grandpa, Lee Huber's, birthday. It is a talent show. You may choose to display or perform. I always display. My favorite part of it is the metals, every year, made out of orange juice concentrate lids. Jealous?)

16 comments:

Emily, Julia, and Annie said...

How much do we love that all the Jones family have obsession with plants? I love it. I thought it was only a Reid Jones thing that we got from our mom, but no.

p.s. When you find sweet potato vine plants, let me know. Our gay dog destroyed mine and I need more. And if you find blackies, I really need to know.

Nate and Lori said...

You go girl! I was all gung ho to help my husband with some yard work one day moving a whole bunch of rock. Wel...after 2 shovels I decided that I was not made for such a thing. I decided that I would rather work a day of hygiene and pay someone to do it for me. I am so proud of you though for doing it yourself and the plants look fantastic!

HooHoo said...

Way to show off your awesome backache. I am so impressed with the drip system. That was man work. It is too bad that no one has invented the rock vacuum that takes up rock and leaves the dirt yet. Your yard looks so nice.

The Jones Fam said...

Pretty Yard Sara! You are so impressive! I try to help Jake with the yard work, but then he starts making rules about not talking while we're working and no putting my trash, as he calls it, out for the neighbors to see...So you're awesome. I didn't realize that I didn't like the palm tree until it was gone! Orange tree is a great upgrade. I also love your pretty plants and flowers! I hope you did all your yard work in your swimsuit ("Hey Mrs Rumsfield, no tan lines this morning! Looking good!" -Ricky Butler).

-Natalie

PS Your comment on our blog about you being Caleb and Jake being Amy is funny, cause I thought just the opposite you being Amy and Jake being Caleb.

The Jones Fam said...

PPS I am sad to miss another Huber Family Fair!

R and R said...

I love your blog - it is great fun to read - you are a fantastic writer. Mine isn't so exciting. And your front yard looks great too!!

Missy said...

I am so jealous of your "man-liness". I can't believe you did all that yard work your tiny-self. Be so proud. I also love the Proud Poster...so great. Double chin - whatever! I hope you grow some giant oranges! (and no I didn't mean it like that, take your mind out of the gutter:0)

Carol said...

first off, thanks for getting the stupid dora song stuck in my head :)

second, you are always so handy, crafty, etc, i am so jealous of you.

third, your flowers look so pretty they almost look fake.

fourth, love the metal, congratulations!

Jenny said...

I'm so impressed you did the work for the drip line yourself. In just a few short years you'll be able to eat the fruits of your labors and it will all be worth the digging and pruning and planting...or so they say.

Amy said...

Dang! You are quite the botanist! You did that all by yourself? I am really amazed! Your plants really are beautiful!

Diane said...

i thought i was impressive just mowing lawns & picking up dog poop. but you seriously just planted an orange tree! DANG

The Jones Fam said...

Jealous. Did you remove the palm tree by yourself too? Because you would be a He-Man if you did. Great choice for tree placement. Do you want to teach me how to install drip systems now? I'm totally intimidated by anything involving pipes and water pressure.

Huber Family Fair is my all-time favorite Huber function (beats 4th of July breakfast only due to lack of deep-fried pancakes). I'm glad you shared your display. Somebody should put together a virtual tour of all the displays.

Jake

Jake

The Jones Fam said...

I guess I really like my name.

Jake

Jake

Jake

amanda p. said...

ok ok I'll come out of hiding and admit that I'm a man too :) Seriously, Hey I can work just as hard as the next guy right?! Only problem is sometimes it backfires and I end up being the only guy working.. And ok I'm not even really a guy, so where is my guy?... oh yeah, saturdays are for relaxing he says. I guess we grew up in different families huh?

very impressive work girlfriend :)

angiedunn said...

holy crap; i'm impressed. you work like a man/are the cutest girly-girl too. congrats on being the best of both worlds.

Brent and Brooke said...

Yea for finally getting your orange tree. When it makes delicious fruit I will come over and have some o.j. Yep, I will invite myself over too. Your yard is so pretty, I love the flowers. Teach me your manly ways.