Sunday, March 16, 2008

I've fallen and I can't get up....

Throw away my life alert necklace, I'm moving into the computer age..... slowly.....

So, I don't scrapbook. I have been wanting to do slideshow type video things to make for my child to save to cd's (or dvd's but that would require buying some sort of equiptment or something) for his future. I downloaded Smilebox and figured it had a two week free trial period so I'd give it a whirl. It was easy enough, the only problem is this: it doesn't give me the option to save it to a disk, so I don't think this is what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any suggestions on what program works the best for this? Remember I'm a grandma on the computer and don't know what technical terms mean. Technical terms for me start at the level of "zip file." It may well start below that, so maybe we should stick with things like "cut and paste."

Click to play Oakley's First Year
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a slideshow - it's easy!


P.S. It's INCREDIBLY long! You don't have to watch it, and if you do, turn off the volume or you will end up hating the song because it only let me put one on there and it plays it over and over and over and over. I just didn't know what else to do with it. Help me porfavor.

14 comments:

nicole and kevin said...

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but sometimes when you get trial versions of things, the trial versions don't let you do things like print or save to a disk. So if you give them money, that might unlock the save to a disk option.
This comment is yawn!! I like the post. I need to get a life.

Marie said...

I've used Adobe Premiere to make photo montages. It also does videos. But I'll be honest, it took me forever to get the hang of. And after I got it kind of down, my brother tells me they have a program that does basically the same stuff, but it's for amateurs. Sure, he tells me after. But I'll ask him about it and let you know.
Does your computer make DVDs?

Oh, there's also this website lynda.com. You subscribe to it for a month (Or however long), and it has all kinds of on-line tutorials for basically anything electronic. I used it when learning how to use premiere. My sister in-law has used it to learn about her new camera, and photo shopping programs.

Good luck!

Sarah said...

You should have a program already on your computer called Windows Movie Maker. (Go too Start, All Programs - and you should find it there). I love it. When I first learned how to do videos I used this program. It's easy, free, and very fun to use! You can even ad video from the cam corder when you get pro at it. Email me if you have any questions, and I can walk you through it.

BTW - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has put the milk in the cupboard!

debbie said...

i loved your video! digital scrapping is where its at...picture or video or whatever! just don't have the time yet to get to it....maybe i'll leave all the info and have the kids do their own. now THAT'S a time saver!!!
cya

Sarah said...

Well I know this probably isn't in the budget but Mac computers are great for picture archival and doing slide shows you can even send your pictures to Mac and they make it in a hard bound book (you probably around know from my husband) Anyway I am totally hooked on Mac computers.

The Jones Fam said...

Once you figure it all out do you want to do ours too? I hate technical stuff.
Jake

BAM & CJ said...

So adorable! I don't know anything, but my brother in law would be able to help! He knows everything about this kind of stuff!!

Christa Moak

Miss Fergie said...

www.onetruemedia.com is fairly simple. You just retrieve pictures from your computer and you can make a slide show there with the option of buying the cd. I can also help you change your background if you ever want to. :)

Brittney said...

I use Pinnacle 9 for all my slideshows and I love it! You can buy it at Fry's Electronics

Diane said...

i can't believe how much oakley looks like jason. especially his younger pictures. he's such a handsome little man!

Emily, Julia, and Annie said...

Okay, I've got nothing. You should ask the smart computer sister aka Amanda. Even though I work at a scrapbook store, I have no idea. That is why our pictures struggle.

Marquita said...

I use Ulead 10. I make my kids a video each year on their birthdays using almost every picture I took of them from the day after their last birthday. (did that make sense?) Anyway, let me know if you have any questions about it. Ü

Miss Fergie said...

Sara, I don't have to come over to change your background. Go to https://cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com and pick whick one you want and it's really easy. So email me which one and I'll help you change it. You won't lose anything on your blog and it takes about 2 minutes.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Your Smilebox has been selected as a Smilebox of the Week! A link to your post can be found at http://blog.smilebox.com. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know at pr@smilebox.com.